MFL - Spanish
Modern Foreign Languages is a valued part of the curriculum at Portland Primary School. Learning modern foreign languages contributes to a mutual understanding, a sense of global citizenship and personal fulfilment. Pupils learn to understand and appreciate different countries, cultures, communities and people.
Modern Foreign Languages stimulates children's creativity, develops their speaking and listening skills, intoduces an international dimension to their learning and enriches the curriculum, providing excitement, enjoyment and challenge for children and teachers.
At Portland Primary School, we encourage children to engage and embrace new learning opportunities and we believe in the importance of MFL to raise confidence and self-esteem and develop a true appreciation for languages. The development of communication skills. together with knowledge and understanding of the structure os a foreign language, lay the foundations for future study of other languages at Key Stage 2 and support the development of literacy skills in a pupil's own language.
MFL aims to enable pupils to:-
* Foster positive attitudes towards foreign language learning.
* Develop linguistic competence such as listening and speaking skills.
* Develop and awareness of simple language structures.
* Express themselves creatively and imaginatively in another language.
* Explore their own cultural identities and those of others.
* Appreciate similarity and diffrence in the world around them.
* Begin to respect other peoples' cultures, beliefs, attitudes and values.
Meeting The Needs of All Pupils
At Portland Primary school, MFL is taught to children of all abilities. MFL forms part of the school's curriculum policy to provide a broad and balanced education for all children. Teachers will take specific action, where necessary, to respond to individual pupil needs by:-
i) Creating effective learning environments.
ii) Securing motivation and concentration.
iii) Providing equality of opportunity through teaching approaches.